Of course not. But for many of us, the act of receiving a “no-obligation” gift, makes us feel a little obligated.
Why not apply this well documented psychological principle with your people at work by giving them free gifts.
Try this out for the next two weeks at work and see what happens.
Give the following gifts at work:
- Give the gift of praise
- Public recognition
- Share people’s accomplishments with senior management
- Give the demonstration of respect - ask for their opinion and listen with genuine interest. Implement some of the ideas you heard
- Give the power to choose/decide how people do their work
- Give the freedom to set their own schedule
- Give the responsibility and authority to make decisions